With 3 large Swimrun events in the UK this year and already double that amount planned for next year the question on most people’s lips is “is it worth buying a Swimrun wetsuit?”
If you took a knife to your wetsuit to remove the legs and arms then you definitely need to be buying one of these.
As this has been designed for both running and swimming there is no kit change needed.
Originating from ÖTILLÖ and now in the 10th year teams of two race together along courses that alternate between running and swimming.
The exciting news is ÖTILLÖ have announced the UK venue for the first Swimrun World series, turning the picturesque Isles of Scilly off the southwestern tip of the Cornish peninsula into the venue for the first of its kind in the UK.
Registration opened on 26th November with the event being held on 18th June 2016. If you have any plans to compete then you seriously do need this new suit.
The course is close to 45K long with a minimum of eight swims.
The open water swim section will total around 10K and the 35K remaining will be made up of trail-running over and around the major island.
With 75 similar races around the world this is now thought to be the fastest growing sport around. Are you considering it?
From seemingly nothing on the market there is now over 5 different manufacturers with Swimrun specific wetsuits and more in development; it would seem there’s a whole new piece of kit out there to be purchased – but is it worth it?
Chaffing can be a major factor in all wetsuits, with many of you adding lubricant around the neck, we think you’ll be delighted to know that this suit has been tested and no lubricant is needed! Many think this is due to the front zip instead of the usual rear zip.
The Evolution from Zone 3 has been designed with the main purpose to be a Swimrun suit which is extremely important. It seems to us that some manufacturers have rushed their first generation Swimrun suit to market based on existing products they have missed some of the great ideas that this suit has – namely the front zip.
Here are some of the major points you will love
• Comes in two parts
• Main suit & 8mm calf sleeves (giving protection against scrub & rocks)
• Full length front zip
• Rear pocket (easy to get to and zipped)
• 2 small internal pockets (compass and whistle home)
Here’s what Zone 3 list as the main features:-
• Yamamoto 1.5mm SCS shoulders and arm panels for maximum flexibility.
• A built in silicone band on the inside just above the elbow so the suit is designed to be cut by the user if desired.
• 5mm Yamamoto #39 SCS back and side panels for upper body buoyancy.
• 2mm front and back legs with high stretch lining designed for free flowing running. These seams are glued only and not stitched helping to minimise any chaffing from the thread.
• Higher durability backside panel for durability on rugged terrain.
• Front zip with cord for easy access and breathability / temperature control during the run.
• Pro-Speed silicone coated arm cuffs allowing the suit to be taken off more quickly.
• Bright colours for visibility
• Each suit comes with 8mm thickness calf sleeves for significant buoyancy support on the swim.
We think you’ll agree that The Evolution Swimrun suit is a true Swimrun suit; designed from the bottom up with all elements of the sport taken into consideration and a worthy investment for those drawn to the sport.